The mission of the Arts & Neuroscience Networking Group is to build awareness around the interface of music and the arts with neurorehabilitation, and establish opportunities for collaboration in cutting-edge research. The group will be an interdisciplinary forum for clinicians, researchers and artists to share their experiences, ideas and common goals of helping patients as they recover from neurological injury or illness.
The unique aspect of arts on healing makes the arts and neuroscience a broadly relevant topic across many diagnoses. We look forward to exploring shared interests and connections with other rehabilitation professionals and artists.
2018 CALL FOR ARTS & NEUROSCIENCE PROPOSALS
MUSIC & MOVEMENT SYMPOSIUM with Ben Folds & Pamela Quinn
The newly formed Arts & Neuroscience Group presented a special symposium at the 2016 ACRM Annual Conference in Chicago, called Music, Movement and the Mind in Rehabilitation. Featuring Pamela Quinn, a professional dancer and movement therapist who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease 20 years ago and musician, Ben Folds, the symposium is a multidisciplinary demonstration and lecture showcasing emerging studies and data on music and rhythm on healing.
Ron Hirschberg, Chair and Brian Harris, Chair-Elect of the Arts & Neuroscience Group, explain the neuroscience of why music can aide recovery and how it can be used in rehabilitation.
BRINGING RESEARCH TO PRACTICE
PROGRAM COMMITTEE LIAISON: Erin Wegener, MM MT-BC NMT Fellow CBIS
Spectrum Health NeuroRehab Services
RESEARCH COORDINATOR: Lise Worthen-Chaudhari, MFA, MS, CCRC
Associate Director, Human Motion Analysis and Recovery Laboratory
Research Scientist, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Ohio State University Medical Center
HOW TO JOIN
- Email Ron Hirschberg AND Terri Compos to be added to the group’s listserv
- OR update your Member Profile to include the Arts & Neuroscience Networking Group by following the instructions below.
- Login to the ACRM Members Portal
- Click “My Information” in the left navigation
- Click “Edit/View Information” in the horizontal navigation
- Scroll down near the bottom of the page and select all groups in which you wish to participate.
- Click “Save.”
Non-members are invited to participate free of charge in any ACRM networking group by registering for an introductory membership.
- Click the JOIN NOW button below to complete a “Non-Member/Visitor Form.
- Scroll down near the bottom of the page and select all networking groups in which you wish to participate.
- Click “Create Account” (bottom right) to finish the transaction.
GOALS & OPPORTUNITIES
- To establish best clinical practices in delivery of neurologic music therapy (NMT)
- To promotion and support the field of NMT and other therapeutic advances in arts
- To grow research development in the neuroscience and music, rhythm and motion
- To explore all areas in the arts, including dance