Stroke remains one of the world’s leading causes of disability. What are you doing to promote best treatment and assessment for stroke?
The mission of the Stroke Interdisciplinary Special Interest Group (Stroke ISIG) is to be a leader in interdisciplinary stroke rehabilitation—both in clinical practice and research—by promoting high standards of rehabilitation practice, education, and research among professionals with common interests in stroke.
- Review and recommend research directions and priorities to the ACRM Board of Governors
- Advocate for stroke rehabilitation within ACRM and other relevant organizations, as well as funding agencies
- Disseminate research information
- Annual presentation: Hot Topics in Stroke
- Make recommendations to the Board regarding official endorsements on behalf of ACRM
- Attend the Spring Meeting annually
“Internationally, the Stroke ISIG offers a venue unlike any other in the world. It brings together leaders in stroke rehabilitation and research in a collegial, collaborative, and interdisciplinary manner where exchanging ideas brings tremendous value to all who attend. This is an opportunity not to miss!”
– Chris MacDonell, FACRM Managing Director of Medical Rehabilitation CARF International
HOW TO PARTICIPATE in the STROKE ISIG
- ATTEND the ACRM Conference — with the MOST STROKE rehab programming in the WORLD
- Join STROKE ISIG meetings at the conference
- Participate in the STROKE ISIG task forces
The work of the STROKE ISIG is accomplished through its task forces and the ACRM Annual Conference events. Participation in four very active task forces is open to all STROKE ISIG members and new members are welcome. If you’re thinking about joining the STROKE ISIG for the first time, contact any of the executive committee members or task force chairs to learn how your participation can make a meaningful difference in the field of Stroke rehabilitation. Membership is growing – Join us!
- Participation in STROKE ISIG task forces
- Receive STROKE MATTERS semi-annual newsletter
- Opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration
- Grow your professional network of colleagues, mentors, and funders
- Gain recognition for your contributions to the field and to ACRM
- Boost your CV with opportunities to take leadership roles in ACRM
- Continuing education opportunities
- Opportunity to plan educational courses for the ACRM Annual Conference
- Collaborative research opportunities
- Networking and engaging with STROKE rehabilitation colleagues who share your passion and challenges
- Increase opportunities to publish your work
- Meet pioneers in the field, mentors, and potential research collaborators
- Advance the field by helping to translate and disseminate cutting-edge research into clinical guidelines and practice
- Experience outstanding peer-to-peer learning
- Advance evidence-based clinical practices for improved outcomes
HOW TO JOIN THE STROKE ISIG
One of the most valuable benefits of ACRM membership is the opportunity to participate in the many interdisciplinary special interest groups and networking groups. Not sure ACRM membership is right for you? Consider an ISIG Only membership.
“How does ACRM Help the Stroke Community?”
Philip Morse, PhD, FACRM ABI Rehabilitation New Zealand
WHY PRESENT AT THE ACRM ANNUAL CONFERENCE?
Heather Tanksley, MOT, OTR/L, interviewed clinician colleagues who participated in educational sessions at past ACRM conferences to share insights about their experiences. You might be surprised by their answers!
Respondent: ACRM Presenter, Marjorie Nicholas, PhD, CCC-SLP, MGH, Institute of Health Professionals
Q: What did you enjoy most about presenting at the ACRM conference this year?
A: It was refreshing to present as an SLP to a wider range of professionals than we usually get to interact with. The questions people had were more interesting as a result.
STROKE ISIG RESOURCES
- The Member Guide to Product Development describes ACRM products, i.e., fact sheets, journal articles, manuals, and the procedure used by ACRM groups and committees to develop them. The guide includes a Product Development Worksheet and how to request a Product Review.