Deborah L. Wilkerson Early Career Award
Supported by CARF International
2019 AWARD RECIPIENT
The ACRM Awards Committee is pleased to honor Alex W.K. Wong, PhD, DPhil with the 2019 Deborah L. Wilkerson Early Career Award in recognition of his early career accomplishments reflective of the spirit of interdisciplinary rehabilitation. Dr. Wong is an assistant professor of occupational therapy and neurology at the Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Wong will present the Deborah L. Wilkerson Award Oral Presentation during the ACRM 2019 Annual Conference in Chicago. The Award presentation will be made during the opening assemby on Wednesday, 6 November in the International Ballroom preceding the plenary presentation. Read more >>
- Candidate must be within five years of completion of training. (doctoral program, residency, fellowship or equivalent)
- Candidates have made significant contributions to rehabilitation research during their early career work.
- Candidate does not need to be employed within a Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, but must be conducting rehabilitation research.
- Candidate must be a current member of ACRM.
- Candidate must attend the current year’s ACRM annual conference.
- The candidate does not need to be the lead author on all papers submitted as part of the application process, but must be the lead author on at least one of the papers submitted.
- Members may self-nominate.
- Nominations are due 1 February.
NOMINATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Nomination letter must include nominee contact information (name, email address, phone number)
- A statement of approximately 500 words in length outlining the nominee’s research accomplishments in rehabilitation.
- Three letters of support written by ACRM members (separate from the nominator’s letter). Letters should be emailed to Terri Compos, Community Relations Manager.
- 3 to 5 peer-reviewed publications. Manuscripts accepted, but not yet published, are acceptable as well as those already in print.
- A CV for the nominee.
Demonstration of service to ACRM, although not a required criteria, will be considered in review of the application. As such, it is advantageous to discuss any such service in one’s application statement.
SUBMITTING A NOMINATION
Submit nominations to the Awards Committee by emailing Terri Compos, Community Relations Manager.
MAKE A DONATION
This award is made possible through the generous support of CARF International and Deborah’s friends, family and colleagues through the Deborah L. Wilkerson Memorial Fund. Make a donation and support this important Early Career award.
This award is given in memory of Deborah L. Wilkerson, former ACRM president and fellow. Deborah was devoted to improving the quality of rehabilitation and independent living services. She demonstrated a commitment to person-centered services and served as a powerful advocate for individuals with disabilities.
Yelena Goldin, PhD
Tatyana Mollayeva, MD, PhD
Brad Kurowski, MD, MS
Dawn Neumann, PhD
Elizabeth Skidmore, PhD, OTR/L
Deborah Backus, PT, PhD
Ronald Seel, PhD
Anne F. Deutsch, PhD
Cynthia Harrison Felix, PhD
Angelle Sanders, PhD
Stephen J. Page, PhD