2022 Summer Edition
3.1. Kendra Ray featured in the Today Show.
Congrats to Kendra Ray, a R13 fellow. Kendra was featured in the Today Show on November 18, 2021. Link below. She talked about her work on the use of music and music therapy for people with dementia and their family caregivers. The topic is presented in honor of National Family Caregiver Month. Kendra interviews nursing home residents with dementia and she also talks about her recent Alzheimer’s Association funded study with people with dementia and their family caregivers who are living at home.
3.2. Patricia Heyn was recently recruited for a new position. She now serves as the Founding Director of The Marymount University Center for Optimal Aging (MUCOA).
3.3. Mary Lou Galantino is a Co-I for a Yoga project supported by NIH- NCI grant R01 ($400,00/yr for 5 years): Yoga for Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Awarded April 2021. In collaboration with Memorial Sloan Kettering. Ting Bao, MD – PI.
3.4. Sonya Kim has been invited by Federation of Associations in Behavioral and Brain Sciences (FABBS) Policy Insights from Behavioral and Brain Sciences (PIBBS) to contribute a paper on biofeedback and rehabilitation.
3.5. Special thank you to our exceptional R13 mentors:
(see R13 mentor powerpoint slide)
3.6. Matt Erb presented on our behalf during the Pandemic Series about working with integrative/complementary care in the online setting, i it is found here.
3.7. Matt Erb and colleagues presented an Implementing a Mind-Body Skills Group in Psychiatric Residency Training. Academic Psychiatry [Internet]. 2021 Aug 2; Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40596-021-01507-x
3.8. Sonya Kim served as a Standing Panel Member; NIH Center for Scientific Review (CSR); Risk Prevention and Health Behavior (RPHB) Integrated Review Group; Lifestyle Changes and Behavioral Health Standing Panel (LCBH Lifestyle Change and Behavioral Health Study Section at the Center for Scientific Review, March 2022
3.9. Newborn baby! Carmen E Capo-Lugo just had a newborn baby boy (Photo below): Damián Amaru Capó -Melo, Weight: 8 pounds 2 ounces. Congratulations, Carmen!
3.9. CIRM NG Leadership Publications
• Waid-Ebbs J, Wen PS, Perlstein W. (2022). Enhancing goal management training with attention drill training. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 103(3):e43.
• Wen PS, Waid-Ebbs JK, Heaton SC, Starosciak AK, Gonzalez-Arias S. (2022). Examing the item-level factor structure of the behavior rating inventory of executive function-adult version withing a traumatic brain injury sample. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.103(1):52-61.
• Kim S, Mortera M, Wen PS, Thompson KL, Lundgren K, Reed WR, Sasson N, Wright ST, Vora A, Krishnan S, Joseph J, Heyn P, Bridget Chin B. (2022). The Impact of Complementary and Integrative Medicine following Traumatic Brain Injury: A Scoping Review. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. Forthcoming.
• de Oliveira Galassi T, Fernandes PF, Salgado ASI, Cidral-Filho FJ, Piovezan AP, Lüdtke DD, Mack JM, Weber KA II, Reed WR, Bobinski F and Martins DF (2022). Preventive Supplementation of Omega-3 Reduces Pain and Pro-inflammatory Cytokines in a Mouse Model of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type I. Frontiers in Integrative. Neuroscience. 16:840249.
• Kuhman D, Kongsuk J, Reed WR, Rosenblatt NJ, Visscher K, Walker H, Hunt CP. (2022). Effects of Advanced Age and Parkinson’s Disease on Joint-Level Kinetic Adaptations to Faster Walking Speeds. Journal of Biomechanics. 2(10:76-86.
• Zhu PA, Xie JY, Liu H, Wen YL, Shao YJ, Bao X. (2022). Efficacy of high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation at 10Hz in fibromyalgia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Accepted.
• Liu H, Salem Y, Aggarwal S. (2022). Effects of Tai Chi on Biomarkers and Its Implication to neurorehabilitation – A systematic review. European Journal of Integrative Medicine. 50:101391. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eujim.2021.101391
• Ranjbar N, Erb M, Tomkins J, Taneja K, & Villagomez A. (2021). Implementing a Mind-Body Skills Group in Psychiatric Residency Training. Academic Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40596-021-01507-x
• Peterson SR, Erb M, & Davenport,TE. (2022). From Idea Cults to Clinical Chameleons: Moving Physical Therapists’ Professional Identity Beyond Interventions. The Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 52(4), 170–174. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2022.10976
• FJ van Rotterdam. The role of Hands on Health in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health. Presented for the Australian Chiropractors Association’s Cultural Competence Training day. April 29th 2022: Sydney, Australia.
• FJ van Rotterdam. Academia International: Advanced Practice Nursing Conference; The SF-36 and its role in CR and PR. April 23rd 2022 Online
• FJ van Rotterdam. Measuring the responsiveness of the SF-36 in the Cardiac rehabilitation literature: Combined results of a comparative effectiveness review and meta-analysis. Presented at Advanced Cardiology and Cardiovascular Research: The Future of Cardiology: Promoting Cardiovascular Health through Leading Medical Technologies. March 30th 2022 Online.
• FJ van Rotterdam. Understanding the Scientific Literature, Basic Biostatistics.Presented at the Adelaide Chiropractic College: March 31st 2022: Online
• FJ van Rotterdam. Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation, Staff perspectives and Patient Experiences; A Qualitative Analysis. Presented at the International Virtual conference on Nursing Education, Patient Safety and Healthcare. Feb 17-19 2022: Online
• FJ van Rotterdam. Measuring the responsiveness of the SF-36 in the Cardiac and Pulmonary rehabilitation literature: Combined results of a comparative effectiveness review and Meta-analysis. Presented at the 5th International Webinar on Global Advanced Nursing, Patient Safety and Healthcare. November 19-20, 2021:Online
• FJ van Rotterdam. Closing the Gap-refresh.Presented at the Australian Chiropractic Association’s annual seminar; October 24th 202; Online
• FJ van Rotterdam. The Role of Chiropractic in Public Health, The Hands on Health Experience. Presented at the European Public Health Webinar; October 22nd 2021:
• FJ van Rotterdam. The Role of Chiropractic in Public Health, The Hands on Health Experience.Presented at the 16TH BIENNIAL World Federation of Chiropractic Congress; September 23-25, 2021:Online
• Erb M. Advancing Physiotherapy in Mental Health: Guiding Principles for Mind-Body Integration. National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Ministry of Health (Mexico). Presented at Latin American Conference on Physiotherapy in Mental Health.January 2022. Online.
• Salem Y, Liu H, Holmes CF, Elokda AS. Effectiveness of aquatic exercise for individuals with lower back pain: A systematic review of literature. Presented for 2022 APTA CSM meeting. Feb 2022. St Antonio, TX.
• Durham SO, Heisterkamp K, Salem Y, Liu H. Aquatic exercise for adults with multiple sclerosis: A systematic review. Presented for 2022 APTA CSM meeting. Feb 2022. St Antonio, TX.
• Shaw ER, Bolstad C, Salem Y, Liu H. Effectiveness of Yoga for individuals with cerebral palsy. Presented for 2022 APTA CSM meeting. Feb 2022. St Antonio, TX.
• Thayn L, Robichaux S, Liu H, Salem Y. Effectiveness of Task-Oriented Gait Training for Children with Cerebral Palsy. Presented for 2022 APTA CSM meeting. Feb 2022. St Antonio, TX.
• Liu H, Salem Y. Arguello E, Aggarwal S. Tai Chi Effects on Brain As Assessed By Neuroimaging Techniques – a Systematic Review. Accepted for 2022 APTA CSM meeting. Feb 2022. St Antonio, TX.
• Bao X, Nichols C, Liu H, Salem Y. Therapeutic effect of Fu’s subcutaneous needling for shoulder pain-A Randomized Controlled Trial. Accepted for 2022 APTA CSM meeting. Feb 2022. St Antonio, TX.
Books or Book chapters
• Kim S, Van de Winckel A, Thompson K, & Heyn P. Complementary integrative medicine. In Nathan Z. Zasler, Douglas I. Katz, & Ross D. Zafonte (Eds), Brain injury medicine: Principles and practice (3rd ed.). New York: Springer Publishing, 2021.
• Erb M, Schmid A. Integrative rehabilitation practice: the foundations of whole-person care for health professionals. JESSICA KINGSLEY; 2021.