Mild TBI Task Force
To enhance the quality and uptake of concussion research, and to improve clinical care for concussion. If you are interested in joining this task force, please contact the chair, Noah Silverberg.
Noah Silverberg, PhD RPsych ABPP
Clinical Associate Professor, University of British Columbia
Acquired Brain Injury Program, G.F. Strong Rehab Centre
Vancouver, BC Canada
The task force is updating the 1993 case definition of mild TBI. This project started in early 2019 and will be our primary focus in 2020. We have assembled an international, interdisciplinary Expert Consensus Panel and completed an initial survey of the Panel (manuscript in preparation). The task force is now preparing evidence statements and draft diagnostic criteria for the first round of voting as part of a web-based Delphi process. We aim to produce a case definition position paper for stakeholder feedback in the fall of 2020.
- Published an Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Information/Education Page titled, Returning to Activity After a Concussion, to provide guidance for patients and families.
- Published the Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation open access article, Management of Concussion and Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Synthesis of Practice Guidelines for clinicians, primary care physicians, and specialists without particular TBI expertise.
- Organized an Intensive Cross-Cutting Program symposium titled, Active rehabilitation following concussion: Findings and experiences of randomized controlled trials that was presented at the ACRM 96th Annual Conference in Chicago in November 2019.
- Re-formed the task force in October 2017
- Assembled core interdisciplinary group of returning and new members
- First monthly teleconference was held 16 November 2017