Autonomic Self-Regulation for Integrative Management of TBI And Chronic Pain: A Didactic and Hands-On Workshop IC21
DAY Saturday 13 April 2019
TIME 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
FORMAT 4-hours Instructional course, Hands-on Workshop
ROOM LOCATION to be determined
TOPIC AREAS Complementary Integrative Rehabilitation Medicine, Lifestyle Medicine
CAREER LEVEL Introductory
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
All Behavioral Health practitioners and professionals who work with patients with chronic pain, brain injury, stress, anxiety, and/or depression, and who wish to learn more about the beneficial effects of the intervention of Autonomic Self-Regulation (ASR) and how to incorporate (ASR) into clinical practice.
This Instructional Course focuses on the problem of stress and how ASR reduces stress and symptoms in TBI and chronic pain patients. People need methods of reducing the negative effects of stress. Whether it’s your daily dealings at work or a pervasive concern for your physical safety, chronic stress is more harmful than the acute experience of it. Chronic stress is biologically harmful, bringing about complications and health issues such as heart disease, high blood pressure, ulcers, and strokes. Therefore, successfully managing stress has nothing less than life-or-death implications. Unfortunately, many of the common and easily available solutions to stress are medications, but these are less than effective and even when they are effective they often come with unwanted side-effects.
Fortunately, however, there are non-pharmacological methods of reducing stress and heart rate variability (HRV) biofeedback is one such method. With HRV biofeedback training people learn to control and eliminate the negative way that their body reacts to stress. HRV biofeedback together with mindfulness and positive emotions is an integrative health care technique that forms the intervention called ‘Autonomic Self-Regulation (ASR). ASR is an easily learned, non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical way of managing centrally sensitized chronic pain. This instructional course uses didactics and live hands-on demonstration to provide attendees a clear understanding of how ASR works to reduce stress and symptoms associated with TBI and centrally sensitized chronic pain. Information explaining the shared central nervous system pathways of sensitized
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Describe the practice of autonomic self-regulation (ASR) for integrative management of stress- and symptom-reduction management of TBI and centrally sensitized chronic pain
- Describe the basic science of Heart Rate Variability and the techniques of Autonomic Self-Regulation
- Identify Heart Rate Variability parameters that are biomarkers of physiological and emotional health.
- Discuss how autonomic parameters can be used for health assessment and to promote behavioral change.
CME/CEUS 4 Hours
ACRM Training Institute registration includes CME/CEUs for the following disciplines:
- Case Managers (CCMC)
- Disability Management Specialists (CDMS)
- Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Nurses (ANCC)
- Occupational Therapists (AOTA)
- Physical Therapists (FSBPT-24 states)
- Physicians (ACCME-CME)
- Psychologists (APA Division 22)
- Rehabilitation Counselors (CRCC)
- Social Workers (NASW)
- Speech Therapists (ASHA)
4 hours of live instruction, continuing education credit processing, access to presentation slides (if provided by presenters), NON-ACRM members receive introductory 6- month membership.
Early Bird rate $49 for members and $99 for non-members
We encourage you to register early
Limited space available
The secret sauce for your career
Discounted for ACRM members, the ACRM Spring Meeting offers instructional courses with continuing education credits in your choice of up to 11 disciplines.
Jump in, get involved, meet and work with ACRM members face-to-face in a casual setting. This event is all about getting research into practice in a supercharged atmosphere and a friendly, collaborative, and inspiring environment.
The ACRM Spring Meeting is a venue for face-to-face collaborating of many interdisciplinary ACRM community groups and committees — the heart of ACRM. Come find your tribe and become a member of the vibrant ACRM community.
Ridiculously inexpensive? Yep. That’s because we believe in getting the research to practice ASAP. And we think that having a low-cost to attend is a good way to do that.
Early Bird rates are as low as $49 for members and $99 for non-members — and that includes CME / CEU processing. Are you kidding me?!? Nope. See the rate tables here.
We encourage you to register early — before tickets are gone. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
You’re our people
ACRM attendees are all kinds of rehabilitation professionals — from researchers to clinicians (including
doctors, nurses, PT assistants, hospital administrators to name just a few) to consumers, family, caregivers, and
more. Everyone is invited and warmly welcomed at ACRM.
They span a wide spectrum of experience from students to well-seasoned pros and hail from the largest
rehabilitation institutions and universities to one-person solopreneurs.
Attendees at previous ACRM events include designers, art directors, and production staff from hundreds of
institutions, companies, and universities from all around the world, including:
VENUE HILTON CHICAGO
TOP REASONS to STAY at ACRM HEADQUARTERS HOTEL
This place is beautiful. The Hilton Chicago is the optimum headquarters with superb onsite amenities + easy access to the best of Chicago.
- SAVE TIME — staying right in the ACTION the ultimate venue for efficient collaboration
- SAVE MONEY — book your room through ACRM and SAVE
- CONVENIENCE — you are only an elevator ride away from courses and meeting and located right on the famed Michigan avenue — smack in the middle of city hotspots — Grant Park, museums, Navy Pier, and more
- HEALTH CLUB — on the 8th floor, it’s the largest hotel gym in Chicago with indoor pool and hot tub an indoor running track, strength training and cardio equipment, Synergy 360, and sundeck with views of the Chicago skyline.
- HHONORS Club — join the Hilton Honors through the ACRM Fast Track to GOLD program and get EXTRA points and all the cool member benefits including digital check-in.
- Get the HHONORS APP — TIP: It’s really VERY handy
BOOK NOW to enjoy the SAVINGS and CONVENIENCE of staying on-site at the headquarters hotel.
Or book Hilton by phone: +1.877.865.5320
with Booking Code: ACR to ensure the lowest rates
(Code: ACT for Government booking)
Space is limited. So lock in your seat and REGISTER TODAY >>