Certified Brain Injury Training: The Official Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists (ACBIS) Course // TWO DAY COURSE
THIS COURSE WILL ONLY BE HELD IN-PERSON and WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO VIRTUAL-ONLY REGISTRANTS
- Angie Jackson, MS-CCC/SLP, MBA, CBIST – Clinical Educator, Pate Rehabilitation
- Dave Anders, MS, CCC-SLP, CBIST – Clinical Director, On With Life
- Julia Marton, OT, CBIST – Case Manager, Baylor Scott and White Institute for Rehabilitation
• 12 Hours CME / CEUs: Continuing Education in your choice of 10 disciplines.
• Downloadable slides: Password-protected access to downloadable training materials
• Opportunity to sit for CBIS Certification Exam (additional fee and prequalification required)
Who Should Attend?
The ACBIS Course and CBIS Certification Exam are intended for direct-care paraprofessionals at all levels and experienced professionals who want a strong foundation in best practices for brain injury rehabilitation. The ACBIS Course is designed to prepare participants to sit for the (optional) CBIS Certification Exam, which will be offered at the end of the course on 4 November.
The Brain Injury Association of America offers a national certification program through its Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists (ACBIS).This two-day training is the official course designed to prepare participants to sit for the Certification Exam and join more than 6,000 Certified Brain Injury Specialists worldwide. To obtain certification, candidates must complete the required work experience/training and pass an examination.The (optional) exam will be offered at the end of the course on 4 November.
The course will focus on:
• Diagnostic imaging
• Medical, physical, cognitive, neurobehavioral, and psychosocial consequences
• Pediatrics, adolescents, and aging with a TBI
• Concussions and mTBI
• Disorders of consciousness
• Rehabilitation philosophy, outcome measurement, and care management
• Effect of injuries on families
• Cultural, gender, and sexuality issues
• Military populations
• Participation and return to work
*Participants who wish to sit for the proctored certification exam immediately following the training, must apply for testing no later than October 25, 2019.
The latest edition of the Essential Brain Injury Guide (EBIG 5.0) also supports preparation for the Certification Exam and is available for purchase from BIAA at http://shop.biausa.org/
ACRM ACBIS Review Course and Exam Application & Payment Procedures
A pre-conference Certified Brain Injury Training: The Official Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists (ACBIS) Course will be held on 19 and 20 October 2020 from 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM. The CBIS Training Course is offered for those who are preparing for the CBIS exam which will be given at the end of the course on 20 October. However, the course is also appropriate for paraprofessionals and professionals at all levels who simply want a strong foundation in the best practices in brain injury rehabilitation and do not wish to sit for the certification exam. The Brain Injury Association of America offers a voluntary national certification program for both direct-care level staff and experienced professionals working in brain injury services through the Academy for Certification of Brain Injury Specialists.
The CBIS credential is open to any profession or discipline serving people with brain injury. Eligibility requirements for taking the CBIS Exam can be found at http://www.biausa.org/acbis/cbis.
The CBIS Exam is a 70 question, multiple choice exam, on which you must get 80% correct in order to earn your CBIS Certification. To pass the CBIS Exam you will need to study and prepare well in advance. This Review Course will review materials which may be covered in the test. The preconference CBIS Review Course will be instructed by ACBIS Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainers (CBISTs).
Please note: The deadline for applying to ACBIS to become eligible to take the CBIS Exam, and for registering to attend the Review Course is October 9, 2020. No exceptions to the deadline will be made.
To take the CBIS Training Course and CBIS Exam attendees should complete a TWO-PART PROCESS.
1. The application for CBIS Exam needs to be completed online at http://www.biausa.org/acbis/cbis and the $300 application fee is payable directly to ACBIS.
2. The CBIS Training Course registration fee is payable directly to ACRM during the conference registration process. https://acrm.org/meetings/2020-annual-conference/register/
The ACBIS Review Course registration (to ACRM) and CBIS application (to ACBIS) are both due no later than October 9, 2020.
For questions on the ACBIS application or certification process, please visit the ACBIS website http://www.biausa.org/acbis/cbis. If further information or clarification is needed, please contact Christine Chen, ACBIS Coordinator, at email@example.com.
It is highly recommended that you study prior to the CBIS Review Course and the examination. You may purchase the study guide titled: The Essential Brain Injury Guide Edition 5.0 published by Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA). Please note that by applying for the CBIS credential through ACBIS, The Essential Brain Injury Guide is discounted to $90.00 plus $20.00 s/h. Visit http://shop.biausa.org/product/EBIG50APP/theessentialbraininjuryguideedition50withsubmissionofacbisapplication.php
In order to take the CBIS Exam, you will need to bring your own laptop computer to the proctored examination that is offered at the end of the CBIS Training Course.