Practical Hands-on Wheelchair Skills Training IC14
DAY Saturday 13 April 2019
TIME 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM (Lunchbreak 1:00 PM – 2:00PM)
FORMAT 8-hours instructional course, Hands-on Workshop
ROOM LOCATION to be determined
TOPIC AREAS Clinical Practice, Cross-Cutting, Technology
CAREER LEVEL Intermediate
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Physiatrist, Researcher, Students in respective clinical programs
Wheelchair skills are important for community access and quality of life, however many users report being unable to traverse uneven terrain, transfer between surfaces, or more advanced skills like negotiating curbs. In this hands-on workshop, you will learn how to effectively use the Wheelchair Skills Training Program (WSTP) to teach wheelchair users how to complete indoor, community and advanced wheelchair skills. We will discuss the role of wheelchair setup and how to make modifications to optimize skill performance. We will also present outcome measures that can be used to evaluate your training in a clinical setting. The session will include hands-on practice of completing, spotting and providing feedback on wheelchair skills.
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Describe how to access free assessment and training resources from the Wheelchair Skills Program website
- Describe 5 motor-skills learning principles
- Demonstrate safe spotting techniques
- Demonstrate and/or describe proper basic-, community- and advanced-level wheelchair skills
- Describe how to implement the Wheelchair Skills Program in one’s own clinical setting
CME/CEUS 8 Hours
ACRM Training Institute registration includes CME/CEUs for the following disciplines:
- Case Managers (CCMC)
- Disability Management Specialists (CDMS)
- Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- Nurses (ANCC)
- Occupational Therapists (AOTA)
- Physical Therapists (FSBPT-24 states)
- Physicians (ACCME-CME)
- Psychologists (APA Division 22)
- Rehabilitation Counselors (CRCC)
- Social Workers (NASW)
- Speech Therapists (ASHA)
8 hours of live instruction, continuing education credit processing, access to presentation slides (if provided by presenters), NON-ACRM members receive introductory 6- month membership.
Early Bird rate $99 for members and $149 for non-members
We encourage you to register early
Limited space available
The secret sauce for your career
Discounted for ACRM members, the ACRM Spring Meeting offers instructional courses with continuing education credits in your choice of up to 11 disciplines.
Jump in, get involved, meet and work with ACRM members face-to-face in a casual setting. This event is all about getting research into practice in a supercharged atmosphere and a friendly, collaborative, and inspiring environment.
The ACRM Spring Meeting is a venue for face-to-face collaborating of many interdisciplinary ACRM community groups and committees — the heart of ACRM. Come find your tribe and become a member of the vibrant ACRM community.
Ridiculously inexpensive? Yep. That’s because we believe in getting the research to practice ASAP. And we think that having a low-cost to attend is a good way to do that.
Early Bird rates are as low as $49 for members and $99 for non-members — and that includes CME / CEU processing. Are you kidding me?!? Nope. See the rate tables here.
We encourage you to register early — before tickets are gone. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
You’re our people
ACRM attendees are all kinds of rehabilitation professionals — from researchers to clinicians (including
doctors, nurses, PT assistants, hospital administrators to name just a few) to consumers, family, caregivers, and
more. Everyone is invited and warmly welcomed at ACRM.
They span a wide spectrum of experience from students to well-seasoned pros and hail from the largest
rehabilitation institutions and universities to one-person solopreneurs.
Attendees at previous ACRM events include designers, art directors, and production staff from hundreds of
institutions, companies, and universities from all around the world, including:
VENUE HILTON CHICAGO
TOP REASONS to STAY at ACRM HEADQUARTERS HOTEL
This place is beautiful. The Hilton Chicago is the optimum headquarters with superb onsite amenities + easy access to the best of Chicago.
- SAVE TIME — staying right in the ACTION the ultimate venue for efficient collaboration
- SAVE MONEY — book your room through ACRM and SAVE
- CONVENIENCE — you are only an elevator ride away from courses and meeting and located right on the famed Michigan avenue — smack in the middle of city hotspots — Grant Park, museums, Navy Pier, and more
- HEALTH CLUB — on the 8th floor, it’s the largest hotel gym in Chicago with indoor pool and hot tub an indoor running track, strength training and cardio equipment, Synergy 360, and sundeck with views of the Chicago skyline.
- HHONORS Club — join the Hilton Honors through the ACRM Fast Track to GOLD program and get EXTRA points and all the cool member benefits including digital check-in.
- Get the HHONORS APP — TIP: It’s really VERY handy
BOOK NOW to enjoy the SAVINGS and CONVENIENCE of staying on-site at the headquarters hotel.
Or book Hilton by phone: +1.877.865.5320
with Booking Code: ACR to ensure the lowest rates
(Code: ACT for Government booking)
Space is limited. So lock in your seat and REGISTER TODAY >>