Pediatric & Adolescent Task Force
The Pediatric and Adolescent Task Force is comprised of multiple disciplines collaborating to improve the lives of youth with TBI. We currently sponsor the Mark Ylvisaker Memorial Pediatric Brain Injury Symposium, a symposium held annually at the ACRM conference.
The Task Force welcomes new members who are interested in pediatric brain injury.
2018 Call for Late-Breaking Research
- Complete Pediatric Cognitive Rehabilitation Systematic Review
- Continuation of the Mark Ylvisaker Memorial Pediatric Symposium
- Member Initiated projects and collaborations
This task force led by Julie Haarbauer-Krupa and Drew Nagele, recently published an article in JHTR about service delivery for kids and the gaps and problems parents face in navigating between rehabilitation and school services.
Current projects involve an examination of translation of findings into recommendations in a clinical setting, as well as a systematic review of cognitive rehabilitation and children. A systematic review of cognitive rehabilitation involving mild traumatic brain injury and children is under development and led by Jonathan Dodd.
Moreover, Drew Nagele is spearheading an initiative on identifying and understanding the needs of healthcare and educational professionals working with children with TBI. He leads a team of task force members, which are getting ready to present the results of this study in the form of a manuscript. A manual on defining the needs of children transitioning to adulthood is in its early stages of conceptualization.
2018 Mark Ylvisaker Memorial Pediatric Symposium
TUE, 2 OCT // 2:15 PM – 3:30 PM
ABOUT MARK YLVISAKER
Mark Ylvisaker was a pioneer in the field of pediatric brain injury whose work emphasized practical approaches in everyday activities with emphasis on collaborations. Mark passed away in 2009.
Jointly sponsored by the BI-ISIG Pediatric and Adolescent Task Force with support from the ACRM Pediatric Rehabilitation Networking Group, the annual Mark Ylvisaker Memorial Pediatric Brain Injury Symposium will continue Dr. Ylvisaker’s influence on the field of pediatric brain injury by focusing on the values he emulated.
MAKE A DONATION TO THE MEMORIAL LECTURE FUND
- DONATE BY CHECK made payable to ACRM. ADD: “Mark Ylvisaker Lecture Donation” in the note field.
- MAIL DONATION to ACRM at:
American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
P.O. Box 896700
Charlotte, NC 28289-6700
- DONATE ONLINE BY CREDIT CARD (A small credit card transaction fee will be deducted from the total.)
- Select: Mark Ylvisaker Lecture Donation
- Enter the amount of your donation and click “Donate Now”
- Continue through remaining screens to receive confirmation that your donation was received.
*For credit card payment, please ensure the billing address entered matches the billing address for the credit card account. Our security filters perform an address verification process and the payment will not go through if the billing addresses doesn’t match.
- Publication-”Service Delivery in the Healthcare and Educational Systems for Children following TBI: Gaps in Care” and Upcoming Sheldon Burrell Memorial Webinar (BIAA) on November 1.
- Manuscript-” Perception of Needs with Children who have Brain Injury: Bridging the Gap Between Medical Rehab and School Professionals
- Systematic Review Initiated- Pediatric Cognitive Rehabilitation
- Awarded a BI-ISAG Grant to complete project
- Mark Ylvisaker Memorial Symposium
- 2017 Speaker-Lyn Turkstra, PhD, McMaster University
- ACRM Awards
- Stacy Suskauer, MD, Pediatric Rehabilitation Award
- Angela Hein Ciccia, PhD, CCC-SLP-Distinguished Member Award